Summer rolls are coming with the Spring, or does the Spring come with summer rolls?
At least, spring is here, and the need for summer rolls as well. Well, actually I also eat them in winter times. I guess if I would have to eat one dish daily, for the rest of my life, it would be probably summer rolls.
Making Summer Rolls is super easy, once you’ve figured out how to do the rolling (I like to roll them like a burrito). And you just can personalize them by stuffing in all your favourite vegetables and fruits. A version with mango is, for example, a perfect one for warm summer days. Also, summer rolls are perfect on the go or to take them to work. They are a wonderful light dish, which means that you can eat them easily during your lunch break, without getting tired afterwards.
I first place all my prepared ingredients on a plate, so I don’t have to deal with that and then prepare one dish with warm tap water (to soak the rice wrapper in).
- rice paper
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 3-5 tbsp warm water
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar, balsamic or lemon juice
- 1 glove garlic, minced or mashed
- 1 tsp chunk of ginger, finely chopped or grated
- Chilli (fresh or flakes)
- Optional: 2 heaping tsp peanut butter
- 2 red carrots, thinly chopped or shredded
- 2 orange carrots, thinly chopped or shredded
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup parsley leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup sprouts
- 250g soy sauce marinated firm Tofu
- 1 cup soaked (ready to eat) glass noodles or kelp noodles (are raw food)
- Stir your dipping sauce ingredients together, heat in a small pot and simmer until sauce is getting thicker
- Fill a large bowl with warm tap water
- Dip the rice paper wrapper into the water making sure to get both sides soft
- Lay on a flat surface
- In the centre, layer your filling ingredients, be careful not to overfill
- Roll up the rice paper halfway, then fold two sides of the rice sheet inward while continuing to roll.
- Repeat for the rest
- Serve with your dipping sauce
- If you have any leftover veggies, just enjoy them with the dipping sauce
Should you decide to give the summer rolls a try I’d love to hear how it went! Write me a comment or post a picture on Instagram and tag me via @annelinawaller so I’ll see it ^.^