Kanebullar or Swedish Cinnamon Rolls, I think this is a “can’t go wrong” Party cake. So I made this cinnamon bun kind of rosette cake for my dad’s Birthday party. Even though there is 200 g of butter in it, it’s still a light cake compared to all the other cakes that are usually served. Especially if you put the butter in relation to the 850 g flour. The recipe is based on a traditional Swedish recipe. This is not a new invention, just a veganized and a little healthier version :).
The cinnamon buns are also quite easy to make, you just need a little patience until the dough has risen. Also, there is one tricky part about this cake. I made 1 cake and some more single cinnamon leftover buns. The single cinnamon buns turned out way fluffier and bigger like those in the tray here.
What we learn to get a more fluffier cinnamon roll bun cake:
Give your buns enough room to rise and set each aside another with a little but of room. If you have enough time, you can let them rise again 30 minutes before baking
- 150 g vegan butter (e.g., Alsan, or similar coconut fat)
- 500 ml oat milk
- 50 g fresh yeast
- 100 g coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cardamom, freshly ground
- 850 spelt flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 g vegan butter (e.g. Alsan)
- Cinnamon + coconut sugar
- Melt the butter in a large pot gently on a low heat and then add the milk.
- Once, the mixture is lukewarm, remove from stove and crumble in yeast.
- Add a pinch of sugar and whisk (makes the yeast rising better).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and knead the dough well. Let the dough rise while covered in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- For the filling, beat the room-temperature butter, coconut sugar and cinnamon until a smooth paste.
- When dough has risen, cut into half.
- Roll out the dough and spread butter mixture on top.
- Roll the dough the long way and cut the roll into about 12 slices.
- Repeat with other half.
- Reduce the oven to 190˚C and bake until golden brown (15-20 minutes).
- I love the buns warm and fresh from the oven.
- Be prepared to serve them right away :).
3/4 cups of confectioners sugar*
1/4 cup of lemon juice