And there it happened again, my real plan – the image of this perfect tarte flambée, the smell of comforting nostalgia – ruined by my weakness for healthy cooking and baking.
Ad: in cooperation with Andros SO GOOD so Veggie
Making plans has never made sense to me. Why this picture of the perfect tarte flambée, with a light thin base, white cream, and light pink pieces crept into my head, I don’t really know either. It was clear anyway that the bottom would turn brown and the whole thing would take on an eco-touch.
I promise you, “Scout’s honor”, that the eco-touch will hardly be noticed and this recipe tastes as ingenious as it is ingeniously simple. If you see it differently, please comment here – I plead guilty! If you see it the same way, please do the same!
What exactly is tarte flambée?
It can be described as the Alsatian pizza: a wafer-thin round dough, topped with cream, finely sliced onions, strips of bacon and sometimes mushrooms (la forestière) and cheese (la gratinée) and baked in a wood-fired oven until the edges are golden brown and crispy. Wait a minute, cream, bacon strips, cheese lake? Do we want that? I think not :). There are enough grumpy humans, we don’t need more grumpy animals. And when Mr. Grumpy Milk comes, even the milk turns sour. There’s only one solution, no milk aka no cheese, and of course no meat. Also, I would advise against just dumping soy cream on the floor. Otherwise, the cake will be dry and sad. We do not want that.
What do we do instead?
I already know, we take Andro’s SO GOOD so veggie.
This is a new yogurt alternative. It’s there to piss off Mr. Grumpy Milk because the milk is no longer needed. How does the Yoghurt Alternative do it? WITH COCONUT! Deliciously creamy and rich in calcium. If you like to support Andros SO GOOD so veggie, you can get the new coconut-based alternative in all participating Rewe supermarkets. If you are already there, you can still put wholemeal speltflour, smoked tofu and maybe yeast flakes and soy sauce in your shopping cart. And then you won’t be missing much for this simple recipe.
Let’s get good and veggie!
Tarte flambée recipe – vegan and healthy
- FOR THE FLOOR
- 250 g (whole grain spelt) flour*
- 110 ml warm water
- 2 tablespoons coconut yoghurt, Andros
- 1 pinch of salt
- FOR THE CREAM
- 300 g coconut yoghurt, Andros
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tsp. cumin
- Smoke salt, at will
- Optional: 1 tablespoon yeast flakes
- 2 red onions
- 200 g smoked tofu (or chickpeas)
- Mix all ingredients for the dough in a bowl. Knead to a dough. Even if there is no yeast in the dough, he likes to rest for 30 minutes. But it is not a must, just a health plus!
- Divide the dough into 3 equally sized pieces and roll out very thinly on a smooth, floured surface.
- b]For the cream [/b]
- Mix the ingredients together. Spread the tarte flambée evenly and thickly with the cream.
- Bring the tofu and onions into the desired shape and spread on the cream.
- Place each tarte flambée in the oven at about 180 degrees for about 15 minutes. As soon as the dough gets crispy, the tarte flambée is ready.