This blogpost may contain affiliate links. These are marked with*.
‘Shabby-Chic’ Red Velvet Hearts for Valentine’s day
For valentine’s day, I made these beautiful shabby chic Muffin hearts for you :). Sorry, I didn’t have time to soak the cashews anymore, but I really wanted to post the red hearts :). Actually, I think the result is quite good to show that it’s more about the present itself. “Done is better than perfect”, right?
Done is better than perfect
To make your “Shabby-Chic” Red Velvet Muffin hearts super tasty, I recommend using a fresh beetroot and cooking it. But as with the cashews, here also counts, “done is better than perfect”. The vacuumed beets that you can buy pre-cooked are fine too, of course. There is only a minimal loss of flavor and sweetness. If you have a sweet tooth, you can increase the sugar content to 70g or more :).
If this recipe takes too long, you can also make my smoothie bowl with hearts. This is even faster :).
- 130 g
- 130 g beetroot, cooked and peeled
- 100 ml of coconut milk, canned
- 60 g coconut blossom sugar
- 1 tsp flaxseed (can be whole flaxseed)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch Tonka (or vanilla)
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup cashew nuts* (100g)
- ¼ cup oat milk (50 ml)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Sweetener of your choice (I used 1 teaspoon birch sugar)
- 1 pinch vanilla
- beetroot powder* if you like
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees top-bottom heat.
- Puree the beetroot, coconut milk, coconut sugar,
tonkapowder, baking powder, salt and apple cider vinegar in a blender.
- Pour the red cream into a bowl. Stir in the flour and mix to a dough.
- Spread the dough evenly in 8-10 muffin hearts (depending on size) and bake in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
- For the Frosting
- Soak the cashew nuts for at least 4 hours or more.
- Drain the cashew nuts, wash and mix with the remaining ingredients.
- Mix until creamy and add more plant-milk if needed.
- Place the frosting on top of the muffins with a piping bag or spoon.
- (PS: I think you can see clearly that I don't have a piping bag ;))
- If necessary, sprinkle with beetroot powder*.
If you’ve tried the Red Velvet Muffins hearts, I’m always happy to hear how it went. Comment here or tag @annelinawaller on Instagram so I can see it.