You can’t miss this creamy, low calorie and healthy polenta-wild-garlic-casserole if you are a fan of quick and delicious comfy food. I’ve only ever made it with fresh wild garlic and I think it’s brilliant with just that. But I’m sure it will be just as delicious if you use spinach, leeks or onions, for example.
Wow, I am such a fan of little effort in the kitchen. That’s why this recipe is just awesome! The combination of fresh wild garlic, coconut milk and tomato sauce makes this casserole taste super cheesy and even reminded me a bit of gorgonzola cheese. I’ve never really liked gorgonzola cheese, but I really enjoyed it in this savory polenta-wild-garlic-casserole. By the way, tomato sauce and coconut milk go together quite well, even if it sounds unusual at first.
Into the Woods
As you know, I’m a bit of a herb guru and was fed lots of good greens and wild herbs when I was a kid. Right now it’s wild garlic season and I want to tell you some cool facts about it, if you want to move to the forest and pick fresh wild garlic yourself.
- Wild garlic grows in the forest and often spreads like weed.
- You can notice the intense smell of wild garlic from a distance.
- Wild garlic is very similar in appearance to lily of the valley. But be careful, lily of the valley is poisonous! A good hint, so that you do not confuse the two plants, is that lily of the valley does not smell. However, find out exactly what you’re picking in advance so you don’t pick the wrong herb.
- Wild garlic is a medicinal plant and aids digestion.
- Serves: 2-3
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 413.4
- Fat: 21.3
- Carbohydrates: 34.5
- Sugar: 7.1
- Fiber: 2.4
- Protein: 17.5
- 1 zucchini
- 250-300 g wild garlic/ optional spinach and leek
- 200 g tofu, I like paprika or smoked tofu
- ½ cup of vegetable broth
- 400 g tomatoes, chopped
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 9 heaped tbsp. polenta
- 2 heaped tbsp. spelt flour (or any gluten-free)
- ½ package tartar powder
- 2-3 tomatoes as topping
- salt, pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix the liquid ingredients with the polenta and the flour in a baking dish. Cut the zucchini in half and slice finely. Crumble the tofu and add to liquid ingredients together with the wild garlic and zucchini.
- Season with salt and pepper. Slice tomatoes and place on top.
- Bake the casserole in a hot oven on a rack on the middle shelf for about 30 -35 minutes until light brown.
Did you try my recipe or experimented with another version of it? I curious to know! Tag me on Instagram, so I can see you creation!